jQuery

Friday, February 10, 2012

Weekly Rainbow Parts: Patina

Last weekend, my husband bought a whole pile of Lego minifigures, because the new 6th series of them is awesome. My 7 year old daughter opened one of them, and it was the Statue of Liberty! Being not-American, she didn't know anything about it other than the name, so we spent the rest of the afternoon on-and-off talking about it, and spotting it in the background of various things and such, and my (American) husband explained to her that at first, it wasn't that greeny colour, it's actually copper that oxidized, and then I learned that that greeny effect is called a "patina".

And I was like "Oh."



Because I'd already done my picture for Week 5 of Luna Jubilee's 52 Weeks of Color - Part Deux challenge and posted it, and I'd interpreted "patina" quite badly, considering it something I could just sub in turquoise for, when I now knew it was a quite particular shade. Luckily for me, though, I'd made (or at least tried to make) the focal point of the picture the gorgeous makeup made by Mocksoup Graves, and she'd been clever enough to not Doin It Rong.

So if I may for a moment flail and praise the makeup of Mock Cosmetics. In my opinion, the bestest of all makeups on the grid, and the makeup I wear almost exclusively, she's also super generous with group gifts and and and has a friendly group and a pretty shop and the point is, Yay!

This particular makeup also goes real pretty with my eyes, which I don't credit enough, but they're the Treeflake eyes by Schadenfreude. Whenever I try on new eyes, I'm like "Yeah, these are nice" and then putting my Treeflakes back on as quick as I can. They're called Treeflake because if you zoom right in, you can see that they're like a paper cut-out snowflake, with the cutout being a Tree! The other colours have other shaped cutouts. They're delightful.


But the point in my original ramble there is, it always pays to do a little bit of research into why the chosen colour is named as it is, instead of just guessing or trusting that kind designers will do all the work for you.


It is supposed to be a challenge, after all.

Credits: 
Skin: Tres Blah - Blessa - Pale - Clean
Hair: lamb. - Wild Nothing - Sun Dried Tomato
Clothing: LeeZu - Tamara Pantsuit - Turquoise
Makeup: Mock - Patina Luna Eyeshadow
Hairbase: LeLutka - Jessica
Ears: Balderdash & Schadenfreude - Etherial Fey Ears
Eyes: Schadenfreude - Treeflake Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment